[lbo-talk] Belarus elections

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 14:02:21 PST 2006

On 3/31/06, Chris Doss wrote:
> I'm kind of interested in getting a discussion on this
> started. We have a situation in which the autocrat of
> a country, who has broad popular support, fixes an
> election, and the corresponding failed Western-backed
> "colored Revo." Who, if anyone, should we back in such
> a situation (assuming it is any of our business)? The
> demos in this case does not want democracy.

doesn't it depend on the specifics of the case?

Further, are there any third alternatives? The "colored revolutions" have mostly using "democratic" rhetoric but realling have been neo-liberal in orientation, aiming at uniting Fillintheblankistan with the EU and global capitalism. On the other hand, the generally popular autocrat is more like Hizzoner da Mare of Chicago (the late) Richard J. Daley or the old Mexican PRI, using control of the state to garner popular support with patronage.

-- Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles