[lbo-talk] Belarus elections

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Mar 31 15:06:48 PST 2006

Well, yes, perhaps it's time to re-examine the icon of democracy. Perhaps look at things like the following:

1) Democratic regimes are perfectly capable of heinous acts; for example, the conquest of the Americas. Formal democracy is no guarantor of right action.

2) Does democracy mean anything more than the temporary resolution of the competing claims of individual self-interest?

3. What is the meaning of democracy in a culture steeped in commerical brainwashing?

Just to get this going...

Joanna