[lbo-talk] Re: "Save Darfur" etc (and other responses)

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon May 1 18:34:10 PDT 2006

Just to clarify - and not to make too much of it - I was born Uganda in 1968 - my father is from Uganda and my mother from Kenya (Like everyone else from Kenya I have claimed my peice of Barak Obama whose half-brothers I went to school with and whose late fater was a family friend, but this is also true of many other Kenyans - of course given Obama has taken a decidedly Clintonian/DLC tack, I now surrender all my claims to him). My family left Uganda when Idi Amin arrived on the scene and I have lived variously in Kenya, Malawi, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Britain, Mexico, and the United States.

Of course, even if I had been born in and not travelled anywhere outside the US, it would not make my points any less valid. I happen to have a personal connection to the Uganda/Rwanda/Congo/Sudan nexus (on my mothers' side I am ethnically the same as people in Northern Uganda and parts of Southern Sudan), but my political perspective is not necessarily a function of my biographical particulars nor do the latter validate the former.

Joe W.