[lbo-talk] Colbert on Daily Show yesterday, post-Bush bashing

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed May 3 07:46:27 PDT 2006

> What's amazing is how much the media, and particularly
> Fox News, have consistently referred to how "bad"
> Colbert was. Chris Matthews said he was "just
> terrible." I enjoyed the hell out of it.
>
> -B.

As did I:

<http://redstateson.blogspot.com/2006/05/colbertd.html>

But from what I saw, and based on my years in the clubs, Colbert did bomb, in the sense that the audience wasn't fully with him or found much of his material distasteful or unfunny. Doesn't mean the material wasn't great -- much of it was. Hacks like Matthews base their perceptions on what a well-heeled audience does or doesn't do, as opposed to assessing the material itself. The NY/Beltway crowd aren't critics or even comedy aficionados. They serve domestic power, and act/speak accordingly.

Dennis