[lbo-talk] Colbert on Daily Show yesterday, post-Bush bashing

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue May 2 08:32:19 PDT 2006

> What's amazing is how much the media, and particularly
> Fox News, have consistently referred to how "bad"
> Colbert was. Chris Matthews said he was "just
> terrible." I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I do think that Colbert has a sense of humor that takes some getting used to; I've been Tivo'ing his show and have seen all but a few episodes, but I don't expect that Chris Matthews would 'get' his jokes or his approach. As a 'special episode' of his the Report, I thought it was great. But as 'black-tie standup comedy' it's probably not up to snuff.

Regardless, Colbert's 'mission' is dual: be funny, but also be a social and political critic. He's also kind of wonky: some of his jokes should ONLY be funny to beltway insiders.

I love his bit about 'thinking with his gut' and the way he 'I'm like you, buddy!' to Bush took ... balls.

/jordan