[lbo-talk] Colbert on Daily Show yesterday, post-Bush bashing

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Tue May 2 09:07:14 PDT 2006

At 11:26 AM 5/2/2006, Blackmail wrote:
>Have you seen Colbert's nightly show? He assimilates the various
>personalities of conservative talking heads. His Stossel is pretty great,
>and was particularly great when he interviewed Stossel. If you haven't
>seen the show, then you don't know that that's his schtick, and I think he
>does a better job of lampooning conservative hacks and their liberal
>apologists than anyone in the mainstream, or even the so-called indie
>comedy circuit.

i know that's his schtick. but, because the presdinet is a fuckup, he came off as a fuckup who didn't get his lines right. i wasn't sure whether he was looking down at his notes b/c that was the character he was playing (presdinet [tm] road rash) or because he just hadn't memorized the skit. and I think that's what nags at me: viciousness just didn't come through. he was blase about it. ho hum. gotta deliver this one. i suspect he's just much better at being funny when on the camera and not when doing stand up.

i realize it was vicious in context. I wrote that in my first post, but it wasn't vicious on the terms that I'd wanted to see: a George Carlin going off on his and the media's ass would have been stupendous. And yes, it was boring and long.

As for the audience, half the time I don't think it was that they disagreed because they are lackeys, but because they didn't actually get the subtlety of the humor. E.g. when he said something about the government that governs least, governs best and that's why the Iraq government is so great. I don't think they even got that one. part of that was because colbert sucks at delivering his lines.

As for the presdinet (tm) being pissed, I don't think it takes much to get him pissed so I guess that isn't a satisfaction on my view.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org