[lbo-talk] Re: Albright on Iraq

Joel Schalit managingeditor at tikkun.org
Tue May 2 09:46:19 PDT 2006

On May 2, 2006, at 8:17 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
>> Joel Schalit:
>> It definitely seems like the Democrats are pimping the God card in
>> prep for the fall elections. Yck. Its also extremely insincere -
>> trying to lure in Xtian voters in ways that they would never take
>> seriously. Albright's an odd bird by background too - a Jew who
>> converted to Catholicism etc.
>>
>> [WS:] It is not that uncommon in E Europe, though. Some of these
>> converts
>> are even more catholic than the pope.

Agree - good point. Most domestic analyses of the role of religion in American politics tend to ignore European - or be ignorant of general foreign - parallels.

>> However, I do agree with your point that pimping the god card by the
>> Democrats does not leave much hope for the foreseeable future.
>> Why voting
>> for an obvious fake when you can have the real thing? It looks
>> like the
>> Dems are totally intellectually bankrupt and void of any ideas.

Sure, this is all definitely true. For as insincere as the Dems are in playing the religion card now, I think its just the beginning of a general trend in the Democratic party to embrace cultural conservatisms (read religion in this case) in the same way that it came to embrace Republican economic reformism in the 1980s. Five years from now, we'll really begin to feel this transformation.

> I'm wondering if the message they took away from What's The Matter
> With Kansas is that they need to ape the Reps on the cultural
> issues - not that they should adopt a populist economic agenda.

Yes - I do think this is the lesson the Dems took away from this.

Joel