[lbo-talk] Re: Albright on Iraq/The Dems & the Divine

Joel Schalit managingeditor at tikkun.org
Tue May 2 10:21:09 PDT 2006

There are many points I agree with here. Suffice to say what strikes me the most is the correct observation that Christian voters are a politically complex lot, and tend to be more divided on economic and cultural issues than the Religious Right's leadership would like to admit. Take a look at the recent split between the Evangelical rank and file and the leadership, for example, over environmental concerns. If there's growing disagreement amongst evangelicals on this issue, surely there's more.

The big problem with the Democrats remains the aping issue. Given how ideologically complex fundamentalists are, there's an enormous amount of things that could be done to exploit this complexity, break it down, and demystify, for lack of a better term, Christian political priorities. I may be somewhat daft in this regard - I write about Israeli politics, mostly - but working at Tikkun, from this vantage point I see little or no attempt amongst mainstream liberals to try and take advantage of these opportunities.

Joel