[lbo-talk] Re: Albright on Iraq/The Dems & the Divine

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 12:22:17 PDT 2006

> Introducing Albright, ex-Columbia U president George
> Rupp divided the
> U.S. into conservative religious and secular liberal
> camps; Albright
> identified herself, despite her fondness for God and
> associated
> stuff, as a secular liberal, like everyone else in
> the room.
>
> Doug

That might be a problem. Well, Albright is not running for Prez. Hilary will never pass as anything but secular. Gore is pious, I believe, but he may have Kerry's problems, he's wooden in public (though quite good when he loosens up), an intellectual (how can anyone who says that his favorite writer is Stendhal hope to be Prez?), a perceived loser (even though he probably won, as Kerry also may have) -- any anyway he will have a hard time persuadiung the Goldly that he is One Of Them even if he is. Barak Obama (whatever his other weaknesses as well as strengths) might be -- he says not, but sooner or later he will -- and he's religious.

Btw mainstrean old line GOPsters are no less secular than the Dems: I mean, they may go to an Episcopal Church for show, but this is a different league from the bornn again,

Seems to me the Dems ought to be able to turn up a semi-progressive evangelist -- they did in Carter and to some extent in Clinton (whose sins, after all, were perfectly traditional sins of the pious sinner -- ask Swaggart and Bakker). Would be worth their trying . . .