[lbo-talk] MPug Rats Out Yoshie To Cooper

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu May 4 07:04:06 PDT 2006

Yosh:

> "Establishment Jews" alliterates with "evangelicals" while "official
> 'Jewish leaders'" (my initial term used here) doesn't.

So it was a literary decision. OK.

> The reason I didn't say "Zionist Jews" is that I don't see ordinary
> Jews who love Israel, consider themselves to be Zionists, but oppose
> the occupation of the OPTs as in need of my criticism. They are not
> the problem.
>
> Anyhow, if I said, "establishment Japanese," "establishment Muslims,"
> "establishment Blacks," or establishment whatever, writing about a
> comparable problem of using ethnic/religious identity politics to
> support US imperialism, would you have a problem with that?

Not being a word cop, none of this really bugs me, esp since I know what you're trying to get at. I was speaking about how others a little more sensitive to how the word "Jew" is used might view it, and how, however unfair or beside the point, that would allow them to divert the issue, which is exactly what happened here. My critique, such as it is, is more tactical than anything else.

Dennis