[lbo-talk] MPug Rats Out Yoshie To Cooper

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed May 3 07:39:19 PDT 2006

On 5/4/06, Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Anyhow, if I said, "establishment Japanese," "establishment Muslims,"
> > "establishment Blacks," or establishment whatever, writing about a
> > comparable problem of using ethnic/religious identity politics to
> > support US imperialism, would you have a problem with that?
>
> Not being a word cop, none of this really bugs me, esp since I know what
> you're trying to get at. I was speaking about how others a little more
> sensitive to how the word "Jew" is used might view it, and how, however
> unfair or beside the point, that would allow them to divert the issue, which
> is exactly what happened here. My critique, such as it is, is more tactical
> than anything else.

Well, "Jews" is not a dirty word, so I believe that it should be treated the same as "Blacks," "whites," "Asians," "Latinos," "Americans," etc. A claim that "the Jews" have disproportionate power is an odious anti-Semitic stereotype, but a claim that establishment Jews have power over ordinary Jews (mainly the power to cow them, by saying "Are you a self-hating Jew?" "Do you hate Israel?" etc.) in their communities to manufacture a semblance of consensus to serve imperialism, just as establishment Cubans, establishment Blacks, establishment whatever do, isn't.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>