[lbo-talk] MPug Rats Out Yoshie To Cooper

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed May 3 10:10:21 PDT 2006

I wouldn't make a Federal case out of it, but as I noted immediately, the original post was creepy. It was posted as a magazine piece and was therefore fair game. I don't have to buy Cooper's reaction. He's doing what Yoshie did -- using a shotgun to slaughter a hummingbird.

Recently I had a lengthy exchange with a solid, smart person of the left with whom I agree on everything about whether a particular slur could be construed in any but an anti-semitic way. And he is Jewish. There's a lot of unclear thinking on this matter, except of course in my own case. I might try and explain but I doubt it would accomplish anything. As an exercise, in the post for "Jewish" substitute 'communist' and pretend the demo was against suppression of the African-American vote. See how you think it sounds.

I think highly of Yoshie and MR. (Cooper, too.) I of course do not think she is an anti-semite, and I will continue to be interested in what she has to say.

Mbs