[lbo-talk] MPug Rats Out Yoshie To Cooper

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed May 3 14:36:55 PDT 2006

As Jo Ellen suggests re: 'overthinking,' you forget that sometimes the simplest explanation is the best. People of conscience are convinced that a genocide is in progress (like me in re: Kosova) and hope against hope that the Gov would do something about it, and not out of narrow self-interest. The feared magnitude of the abuse logically encourages one to discount the potential drawbacks of intervention.

The burden of any critique in my view is giving the participants the benefit of the doubt, and from that standpoint providing evidence and argument in criticism of the action. In this context dwelling on The Motives of Jews in the absence of evidence gives rise to the ickyness.

mbs

It boggled my mind (in a way predictable evangelical involvement didn't): how could the Jewish leaders involved in this believe that this is good for Jewish communities? ?? ???

Later again, I looked into the speakers list and learned of a heavily Democrat lineup -- Pelosi, Obama, Sharpton, etc. -- and it made some "sense" in a narrow electoral sense; and I thought of Israel's stance toward Sudan, the way the Darfur conflict has been framed by the media, and other factors that may have led to this new development and make "sense" psychologically; but over all I still don't think that the Jewish leaders' initiative and central leadership in this campaign squares with material interests of ordinary Jews.

Hence my response: "Should we laugh or should we cry?"

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>