[lbo-talk] it's inevitable

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed May 3 15:28:20 PDT 2006

> This was actually something that my criminal law prof told us.
> More than half the people in prison now days are in
> prison for non-violent drug crimes.

Well, I wouldn't say that (but I'm not a criminal law professor). I would say that about half are for violent crime, about 20% each for property crimes and drugs crimes ... the proportion for violent crime has been going up while the proportion for drugs has been going down

Table 12 is interesting (page 9 for people with no time to browse).

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/p04.pdf