[lbo-talk] Scanlon defends

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu May 4 03:21:16 PDT 2006

Lobbyist who pleaded guilty on bribery charges defended thesis on House ethics

05/03/2006 @ 9:20 am

Filed by RAW STORY

Lobbyist Michael Scanlon (r), who pleaded guilty to charges of bribery in a case tied to the conviction of Jack Abramoff, presented a defense of his thesis, which is an "evaluative history of the House ethics process," RAW STORY HAS learned.

The story is reported in today's editions of Roll Call, in the Heard on the Hill column by Mary Ann Akers.

Excerpts from the registration restricted article follow:

#

In the irony-on-steroids category, guess who was defending his graduate thesis on Congressional ethics Monday? Cover your eyes and guess, then sit down for the answer.

It was Michael Scanlon. Yes, that Michael Scanlon, the one who has pleaded guilty to conspiracy in the Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal. His topic, as Scanlon himself confirmed, was an "evaluative history of the House ethics process."

Scanlon defended his thesis at Johns Hopkins University's Zanvyl Krieger School of Arts and Sciences in Washington, D.C. Our informant, a House Democratic aide and a fellow student in the advanced government program who also was defending his thesis on Monday evening, still is trying to lift his jaw off the floor.

"It was all I could do not to break into hysterics," he said.