[lbo-talk] "Plan B, " emergency contraception, why the right hates it

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 03:36:28 PDT 2006

[In addition to physicist Bob Park at bobpark.org, PZ Meyer of the Pharyngula blog has always been one of my favorite popular science writers -- one of those folks that can relate science to political issues. - B.]

Why the wingnuts hate Plan B

by PZ Myers

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006/04/why_the_wingnuts_hate_plan_b.php

There has been an oddly evasive struggle going on in Washington DC for the last several years. We have a safe, easy method of emergency contraception that has been turned into a political football, with Republicans playing their usual role of criminally stupid thugs, trying to crush a simple idea: Plan B contraception. It illustrates exactly how the Religious Right is trying to intrude on your private life, and in particular, how they want to control women.

I'll explain how Plan B works, but to do so I'm going to have to explain some basics of the hormonal control of the menstrual cycle.

This is a fairly complicated but typical diagram illustrating the various organs, hormones, and changes that go on in the menstrual cycle. At the top is the master gland, the pituitary, that secretes regulatory hormones; below that is a diagram of the changes in the ovary; below that is a diagram of changes in the lining of the uterus; and finally, at the very bottom, is a graph of the concentration of various hormones in the blood during the phases of the cycle.

[...]

more at url above