[lbo-talk] Juan Cole whacks Hitch the Snitch

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu May 4 08:18:10 PDT 2006

Carl Remick wrote:

> We are witnessing the End of an Error. The quarter-century rule of
> idiocy ushered in by Ronald Reagan is now collapsing due to the
> world-historical blunders of George Bush -- a spectacle I term
> Bubbadämmerung. This has triggered all sorts of curious
> transformations, with some of the leftiest criticism these days coming
> from conservatives like Kevin Phillips and Paul Craig Roberts, who
> played key roles in *creating* the fucking mess we're in. It would be
> nice if "real" lefties were able to regain the initiative for
> hard-hitting, high-profile criticism from these right-wing apostates.

I agree with you that we have entered a period of opportunity for our side and one of trouble for many of those we oppose. On the other hand, I think that it is a big mistake to look at this "period" as something that just starts with Reagan. Liberal Democrats to the left of Clinton will not be a desirable alternative as long as the United States exists as a world imperial superpower.

One good thing that has come out of recent political developments and the protests, is that the post 9-11 chill against dissent has pretty much ended. Now is a time for organizing.

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/