[lbo-talk] it's inevitable

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 10:03:21 PDT 2006

"Threat of death" gets you the violent crimes enhancement (i.e., more time) under the federal Sentencing Guidelines, even if you are unarmed, at least as long as the victim reasonably things you might be armed and able to execute the threat -- I drafted a case on this for Judge Cummings in the Seventh Circuit. I find it credible. Violence needn't involve physical contact or harm; putting someone in fear of physical harm or death strikes me as plausibly a violent crime. I believe that all or almost all drug crimes also qualify for the enhancement on the grounds that drugs are often accompanied with violence. This strikes me as excessive and wrong.