[lbo-talk] Genocide in Iraq and Sudan

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 15:26:24 PDT 2006

I think that "genocide" is one of the most over-used words there is. In practice nowadays it seems to mean any conflict in which large numbers of noncombatants are killed. Vietnam was genocide, Chechnya was genocide, Kosovo was genocide etc. There's a genocide under every rock. Look, most armed conflicts in the modern world are counter-insurgency vs. guerilla warfare. Civilian bodycounts in such situations--and I'm not sure how to rigidly define "civilian" here--are invariably horrifically high. That does not make them attempted genocides.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!