[lbo-talk] Genocide in Iraq and Sudan

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 15:38:00 PDT 2006

It's pretty clear from what Mad. Albright has said that the US policy elite during the Clinton years wanted to destroy the Saddam Hussein regime and that they didn't care about the "collateral damage" (i.e., the killing of women, children, and other innocents) that resulted from their efforts. According the the UN, that was a lot of collateral damage. The Bush people have also been extremely uncaring -- cavalier -- about civilian deaths.

Not being an international lawyer, I don't know if that's "genocide" or not, but it doesn't matter to me whether it's a matter of intention ("I want to kill children") or carelessness ("it doesn't matter if children die if we attain our goal"). I'm sure that Pol Pot didn't really _want_ to kill however many people his regime killed. Instead, as with Albright, the deaths were collateral damage arising from his efforts to attain his goals.