[lbo-talk] What is genocide?

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Fri May 5 08:06:57 PDT 2006

On 2006/05/05, at 23:38, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> I definitely believe that both Clinton and Bush and their associates
> intended to slaughter Iraqis as Iraqis. For you to believe their cover
> lies is outrageous... CB

> Yes, I certainly agree. But there is also a problem with the term
> geneocide that needs to be firmed up.
>
> To use the word to characterize a war sets up a conceptual conflict
> over terminology that involves race and ethnic group.

10+ years of non stop bombing is not a war. What happened during the Gulf War, during the current war and in between are three very different things but taken all together, and considering the span in time/history it is hard to believe that the leaders who took part in the decision process leading to this nightmare (for Iraqis) did not have something in mind, and if they did not, it simply means that they did not acknowledge the fact that Iraqis were human beings with clearly defined human rights which is equivalent to acting on purpose to hurt them _because_ they were Iraqis.

Jean-Christophe Helary