[lbo-talk] Minutemen and Church Activists Rally in Irvine

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Sat May 6 22:19:39 PDT 2006

(Evidence that the anti-immigrant and religious right are making common cause. SR)

Minutemen And Church Activists Rally In Irvine

(CBS) IRVINE, Calif. Activists from the Minuteman Project and a Buena Park church gathered for a "pro-America" demonstration against amnesty for illegal immigrants and to support secure borders.

First Southern Baptist Church Pastor Wiley Drake encouraged participants to "bring the biggest American flags that you can." The rally started at 10 a.m. on the corner of Irvine Center Drive and Alton Parkway in Irvine and will last until 2 p.m.

Drake said the Minutemen Project was a misunderstood group and was not anti-immigrant or racist. In recent months, the Minutemen Project created controversy by enlisting volunteers to patrol the U.S./ Mexican border in search of those crossing the border illegally.

"We don't call it anti-immigration, we call it a pro-American rally. We're not against immigrants," Drake said. "It's a moral issue. They're (illegal immigrants) living in the shadows."

Drake said his church often helps immigrants become legal by helping with paperwork. He claimed illegal immigrants cause traffic problems and hurt the economy because they lack insurance and work for less wages than most Americans would.

"The people (illegal immigrants) are being misused and being paid ridiculously low wages," he said. "That's hurting us and them."

© 2006 CBS Broadcasting Inc

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_126142838.html