[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 7 14:23:22 PDT 2006

Ludwig W. is also great. I think he and Martin are the greatest 20th-century thinkers. They have a lot in common, actually, beyond both being German-speakers.
:)

There is indeed a great affinity between good old Martin and Buddhism. IIRC Heidegger taught himself Chinese to translate the Tao te Ching (sp?). But did the Buddha ever discuss atomic power plants? No.

God do I love Heidegger. His works' influence in my life was astronomical. Time to reread S.u.Z. Truly, that is a beautiful book.

--- joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> My nomination for greatest 20th century philosopher
> is Wittgenstein. I
> think the only reason he is not hot is because his
> work debunks most
> academic endeavors.
>
> I have read Heidegger and it looks like Buddhism
> rendered in western
> terms. In other words, very valuable, but can be
> found expressed more
> clearly elsewhere.
>
> Joanna

Nu, zayats, pogodi!