[lbo-talk] Bulletin of Atomic Scientists

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon May 8 12:20:55 PDT 2006

With a drop in infant and child mortality, and some other way to secure your old age than the support of your children, family size tends to drop independent of access to more advanced forms of birth control. This is where the population controllers got it all wrong, based on a disrespect for the capacity of the poor to analyze their own situation. It isn't just disrespect, though, it's also (what we hope is a justified) fear of growing numbers of peasants and workers who want to overthrow same population controllers and their rich sponsors.

Jenny Brown

Lbo has been down this road before--it's somewhere in the archives. Years ago I post something quoting similar results, that when standards of living rise, family size drops off, particularly with increases in women's rights and general political awareness, employment, etc.

The result is as you say and completely contradicts the population control alarmists.

A similar drop in family size occurred in the US and Europe as rural people moved to cities, women struggled to integrate themselves into the larger urban society, etc, etc.

CG