[lbo-talk] Bulletin of Atomic Scientists

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon May 8 15:43:47 PDT 2006

On 5/8/06, Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:

> With a drop in infant and child mortality, and some other way to
> secure your old age than the support of your children, family size
> tends to drop independent of access to more advanced forms of birth
> control. This is where the population controllers got it all wrong,
> based on a disrespect for the capacity of the poor to analyze their
> own situation. It isn't just disrespect, though, it's also (what we
> hope is a justified) fear of growing numbers of peasants and workers
> who want to overthrow same population controllers and their rich
> sponsors.
>
> Jenny Brown
>
> -------------
>
> Lbo has been down this road before--it's somewhere in the
> archives. Years ago I post something quoting similar results, that
> when standards of living rise, family size drops off, particularly
> with increases in women's rights and general political awareness,
> employment, etc.
>
> The result is as you say and completely contradicts the population
> control alarmists.
>
> A similar drop in family size occurred in the US and Europe as rural
> people moved to cities, women struggled to integrate themselves into
> the larger urban society, etc, etc.
>
> CG

To Me three: increase standards of living, income equality, and women's rights. Those three variable together pretty much predict reproduction rates. Which is why it is important not to deal lightly with the myth that we don't have the resource for everyone on earth to have a standard of living equal to the rich nations. What we don't have is the resources for anybody on earth (including the rich nations) to have wastefulness and inefficiency of the rich nations. And the politics of this are important; to ascribe it to technical problems rather than wastefulness and hideous cruelty is to let capitalism off the hook. Of course if it is true , it is true; if with the use of renewable reesources and greatly increased efficiency we don't have enough to provide everyone on earth with a standard of living equal to (say) what someone with a median income in Italy has then we don't. But, to me, it looks like the evidence is that we know how to use our resources wisely enough to provide a really pleasant standard of living to everybody - not just bare survival but plenty of luxury too. We just have a type of society that chooses not to, maybe that can't do other than choose not to.