[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger (and other responses)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 06:37:01 PDT 2006

Althusser murdered his wife. Foucault (IIRC) knowingly exposed people to HIV. Therefore they must have had nothing good to say. Yawn.

FWIW I think Heidegger was more a classical Mussolini-style Fascist than a Nazi. There's no biologism in Heidegger. In fact he argues vociferously against in in one of his Nietszche lecture courses, I don't remember which one. He was also a fan of "degenerate artists" such as, notably, Van Gogh, Rilke, and Trakl.

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> You can wrath and contempt for Heidegger or Schmitt
> as
> a Nazi without thinking that this personal,
> political,
> and moral failing makes their thought worthless. The
> assertion that X was a a Nazi, therefore his ideas
> are
> crap, is an ad hominem. Granted, being a Nazi
> raises
> question about one's judgment that requires
> attention
> to the philosophy or political thought to determine
> whether the author's affiliations, poor judgment, or
> wickedness irreparably damage the ideas.
>
> I note here that that this is not a mater of the
> ideas
> being wrong; being wrong is no disgrace in a thinker
> as long as he is fruitfully wrong. But there are
> so-called thinkers whose allegiance to vile
> ideologies
> makes their thought into mere propaganda, worth only
> the historian's attention. Rosenberg, among the
> Nazis,
> copies to mind; lots of Stalinists too (e.g.,
> Zhdanov), and many bourgeois economic and political
> writers.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!