[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 13:29:06 PDT 2006

Yeah, he's trying to search for an Aristotelian "horizon" against which a thing becomes a specific entity because it is NOT that horizon, or rather what stands beyond it. (It's hard to express because H is talking about a thing being a specific entity in _it's own active self-understanding_, not in the sense of a static external definition. The only thing "outside" the locus of existence that is the particular human being and its world is the time that came before its existence and the time that will come after. One could argue with Sartre and Levinas that other loci of existence (i.e. other people, possibly animals, H was sketchy on animals) or God fall into this category too. That's why death is such a big deal, more so than birth because Dasein's self- and world-understandings are futurally directed. Arendt wrote about this in her dissertation, using Augustine as a placeholder for Heidegger (I think).

The whole thing really is a brilliant merging of Aristotle, Kant and Husserl. Damn, time to go back and reread Sein und Zeit!

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote: I really take H's the main point about death, to put it in plain English, to be that the fact of our mortality is the central issue in the life of a human being -- not merely something one has to come to terms with and learn to accept,a s it were, philosophically, as the Stoics taught, or as a gateway to heaven or hell, as Christian dogma, but as the fundamental structuring fact about the lives of mortal beings that influences, or ought to influence, everything in our lives.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!