[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 06:52:58 PDT 2006

None of this -- fear of death, stoicism towards it, fear of a twilight existence of diminishing heath health without resources (or with them), fear of Alzheimerr's -- has anything to do with Heidegger's concerns about the fact that we are mortal. Since Chris thinks my summary is not to innacurate I refer you all agains to that. H's concern is not with wanting to live foreover in health and strength but with the way the modern world eats up the lives of mortal creates.

And as I mentioned, in regard to the persom who remarked about Sarte's early radical individualism and its supposed Heidegerrian influence, I am not aware of anything H says -- granted I am very far from being an H scholar -- that makes the fact of my own individual mortality especially important. Dasein does not translate as "me."

In some ways H's concern ecgoes with Marx's idea that one of the worst things about capitalism is that it enslaves people, denying their creativity and freedom, and devouring their limited time. H atributes this in a quasi-Weberian fashion -- I don;t know if he was influenced by Weber -- to technology, bureaucracy, and an instrumental attitude towards the world rather than to capitalism, but (a) he's partly right about that, and (b) he has a lot of the problem right eeven if he misses the full and correct etiology.