[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 08:55:06 PDT 2006

Right. Dasein is not a person. Dasein is the complex of meaning and disclosure of the world that arises between interaction between a person and the world. Sartre didn't understand this, or didn't agree with it, and so winded up both Cartesianizing Heidegger and making the subject into the source of meaning. Whereas in Heidegger the person does not force meaning upon the world but discloses it through various modes of comportment.

On a different note, the government has stopped letting the Great Patriotic War vets march on Red Square on Victory Day on account of their age. That is depressing. In 30 years no one will remember what Victory Day means. That's even more depressing.

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote: And as I mentioned, in regard to the persom who remarked about Sarte's early radical individualism and its supposed Heidegerrian influence, I am not aware of anything H says -- granted I am very far from being an H scholar -- that makes the fact of my own individual mortality especially important. Dasein does not translate as "me."

Nu, zayats, pogodi!