[lbo-talk] health insurance - with lots of holes

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Wed May 10 09:54:24 PDT 2006

Doug posted:

>Los Angeles Times - May 10, 2006
>
>Senate Struggles to Reduce the Ranks of the Uninsured
>By Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar, Times Staff Writer
>
>WASHINGTON - One of the toughest parts of the
>health insurance problem in the United States is
>that many small business can't afford any
>coverage for their employees. Now, as part of a
>weeklong focus on healthcare, Senate Republican
>leaders have brought to the floor their chief
>solution, and it has a chance of passing.

This is exactly the problem with framing the health insurance struggle as "covering the uninsured" as in "Covering the Uninsured Week" which is apparently this week or something. We need 'Bury the Insurance Companies Week.' Year.

>But Democrats are looking for a broader debate on
>healthcare. In addition to the Durbin bill, they
>are seeking floor votes on funding for stem cell
>research, allowing prescription imports from
>Canada and extending the May 15 signup deadline
>for the Medicare drug benefit.

That's broader? BROADER?! You can't make this stuff up. Meanwhile HR 676, an actual national health insurance bill, can't get a Senate co-sponsor from among all those 'solid Democrats.' If I were organizing it, there would be a special ring of hell just for them.

Jenny Brown