[lbo-talk] Zinni on Iraq: ‘We’re not withdrawing’

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 11 18:56:01 PDT 2006

http://www.armytimes.com/print.php?f=1-292925-1765707.php

Zinni on Iraq: ‘We’re not withdrawing’

By Gordon Lubold Times staff writer

Don’t count on the U.S. ever withdrawing completely from Iraq, a retired Marine general said Tuesday.

Anthony Zinni, the four-star who commanded U.S. Central Command before retiring in 2000, said when the U.S. commits forces to a country now, it means a long-term commitment. Iraq is no different.

“It isn’t World War I anymore; we don’t come home anymore,” he said. Zinni said he doesn’t rule out a drawdown of U.S. forces in Iraq at some point — he insists that shouldn’t happen now anyway — but the idea that the situation in Iraq will change enough to allow all U.S. troops to ultimately go home is simply wrong.

“We’re not withdrawing,” he said.

-------

Though I don't doubt there will be continued dissent from some important members of the u.s. elite, I think Zinni speaks for the consensus among our ruling circles. Among other things, it would explain the continued refusal of major DP politicians to dissent in substance with the Bush agenda, as well as the substantial unanimity of major news media in supporting the war.

I think I still stick to my suggestion that chaos in Iraq, as long as core U.S. bases are not threatened, is an acceptable outcome not just for the Bush administration but for whatever administration follows it.

Only really serious military setbacks abroad _combined_ with great civil unrest at home will force an exit.

Carrol