[lbo-talk] Zinni on Iraq: Were notwithdrawing

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu May 11 20:17:17 PDT 2006

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>
>http://www.armytimes.com/print.php?f=1-292925-1765707.php
>
>Zinni on Iraq: ‘We’re not withdrawing’
>
>By Gordon Lubold
>Times staff writer
>
>... “It isn’t World War I anymore; we don’t come home anymore,” he said....

[The US military makes itself at home anywhere in the world. I'm reminded of Chalmers Johnson's interview in Counterpunch back in March:]

Chalmers Johnson: ... A personal experience five years after the collapse of the Soviet Union also set me rethinking international relations .... I was invited to Okinawa by its governor in the wake of a very serious incident. On September 4, 1995, two Marines and a sailor raped a 12-year old girl. It produced the biggest outpouring of anti-Americanism in our key ally, Japan, since the Security Treaty was signed [in 1960].

I had never been to Okinawa before, even though I had spent most of my life studying Japan. I was flabbergasted by the 32 American military bases I found on an island smaller than Kauai in the Hawaiian Islands and the enormous pressures it put on the population there. My first reaction as a good Cold Warrior was: Okinawa must be exceptional. It's off the beaten track. The American press doesn't cover it. It's a military colony. Our military has been there since the battle of Okinawa in 1945. It had all the smell of the Raj about it. But I assumed that this was just an unfortunate, if revealing, pimple on the side of our huge apparatus. As I began to study it, though, I discovered that Okinawa was not exceptional. It was the norm. It was what you find in all of the American military enclaves around the world. ...

So what kind of empire is ours? The unit is not the colony, it's the military base. ... An empire of bases -- that's the concept that best explains the logic of the 700 or more military bases around the world acknowledged by the Department of Defense. Now, we're just kidding ourselves that this is to provide security for Americans. In most cases, it's true that we first occupied these bases with some strategic purpose in mind in one of our wars. Then the war ends and we never give them up. We discovered that it's part of the game; it's the perk for the people who fought the war. The Marines to this day believe they deserve to be in Okinawa because of the losses they had in the bloodiest and last big battle of World War II. ...

That's what's truly ominous about the American empire. In most empires, the military is there, but militarism is so central to ours -- militarism not meaning national defense or even the projection of force for political purposes, but as a way of life, as a way of getting rich or getting comfortable. I guarantee you that the first Marine Division lives better in Okinawa than in Oceanside, California, by considerable orders of magnitude. ...

<http://www.counterpunch.org/engelhardt03212006.html>

Carl