[lbo-talk] Big Vic: shakedown Paul Newman, overpay your writers

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri May 12 11:42:44 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> [someone else must have gotten all those big paychecks - apropos the
> final comment, the Nation's editor and publisher are now the same person]
>
> <http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/magazines/navaskys_advice_to_indie_mags_shake_down_paul_newman_for_1m_spend_it_on_writers_36698.asp>
>

> Navasky's Advice to Indie Mags: Shake Down Paul Newman for $1M, Spend It
> on Writers
>
> Professor of magazine journalism at Columbia and The Nation publisher
> emeritus Victor Navasky addressed independent magazine editors and
> publishers yesterday at the annual IMAG leadership conference, yet
> another Magazine Publishers of America event, held this year at the W
> Hotel in Union Square. And Navasky was packing the anecdotal heat.

> Navasky also urged publishers to "overpay your writers" despite the
> inherent contradiction of that advice coming from a magazine "notorious
> for underpaying" theirs. After agreeing to writer Calvin Trillin's "no
> diddling clause" - they couldn't change a word, and he was "allowed to
> make fun of the editor" - when Trillin asked what he would be paid for
> the column, Navasky said he was thinking of something in the "high
> two-figures."

Wow. It must be really easy to run a liberal website where you can shake down your middle class and upper Hollywood class readers for funds to pay writers. I'd like to pay writers to write radical content for Infoshop News, but we can barely scrape together enough cash to pay one professional writer to provide us with one piece a month. Our readers are working class, mostly young people, not wealthy and well off Nation readers. I'd really like to pay more writers and I have a list of people who I would talk to if we had the money.

I was having dinner last night with a comrade from NYC and he commented about how companies that run websites with comparable traffic to Infoshop have a highly paid staff of IT and admin staff to run their Internet stuff. The left alternative media really could do more, but it always boils down to a question of money.

In other words, capitalism is always finding ways to fuck us over.

Is the Nation still running ads for the Anarchist Cookbook? I cancelled my Nation subscription ten years ago because of their hypocritical and self-defeating ad policies.

I'm probably not missing much, other than Liza's articles which I can read here or there.

Chuck0 -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/