[lbo-talk] Kinky Friedman running!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 14:13:08 PDT 2006

Yeah, TX Dems are a joke (but isn't list consensus they're kind of a joke everywhere?). Somehow Jim Hightower got into a fairly high office, though.

Kinky running for governor isn't all that exciting to me personally (as a Dallasite), and it's not just because the governor in TX doesn't have as much power as, say, our Lt. Governor goes, where a lot of the real power lies. Kinky Friedman for governor would probably be preferable to our current Governor Good Hair, Rick Perry, and he does come from a kind of strange Austin milieu that I'd think would mean he'd be more prone to lean left than Democrats on many issues. But all things considered, it means as much to me as Jesse the Body Ventura running for governor. Kinky's kind of an unpredictable wild card.

Oh, and the border issue really opens up some disappointing politics in people you'd otherwise never expect it from, around here, including among my friends and family who I thought otherwise fairly reasonable.

That O'Reilly interview made me cringe. God, I hate O'Reilly.

-B.

===

info at pulpculture.org wrote:

"aside from which, we're talking Texas, right? I mean, from what Deb, B, and Joe (budge) have said on the topic, democrats are kind of a joke.

O'REILLY: ... All right. Now we just had a discussion on the border and the chaotic immigration. And you're in Texas, you're the governor, what do you do about the border?

FRIEDMAN: Well, my plan is to bring back like the Bracero Program (search) from 1944 that ran for 20 years where the Mexican government vets these people. I mean, they pay for it, and they get green cards, and they're actually legitimate. And then seal the border.