[lbo-talk] further evidence of the decline of men

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri May 12 15:03:27 PDT 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Washington Post - May 7, 2006
>
>Cupid's Broken Arrow
>
>... An increasing number of students arrive on campus taking
>antidepressants, some of which reduce libido and sexual function. They
>consume larger amounts of alcohol at one time than in years past, killing
>performance. Smoking, lack of exercise and anxiety also may be factors.
>
>"We get reports of increased stress levels starting at younger ages. These
>are kids living on the extreme, drinking caffeinated Red Bull and beer and
>working very hard," says Thomas Jarrett, chief urologist at the George
>Washington University Medical Center.

Overpostal apologies, but as a public service I can't let this pass. How did poor old *smoking* get hauled into this lineup of the usual suspects re diminished amorous capacity? I thought folks on campuses today had pristine alveoli -- in sharp contrast to the stygian air sacs of the ubiquitous Marlboro fiends who peopled the quadrangles in my benighted era. Can it be that chain smoking was actually responsible for the legendary, ah, stamina of the free-love baby boom in its prime?

Carl