[lbo-talk] Big Vic: shakedown Paul Newman, overpay your writers

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri May 12 18:16:08 PDT 2006

Gar Lipow wrote:
> On 5/12/06, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
>

>> I'm probably not missing much, other than Liza's articles which I can
>> read here or there.
>>
>> Chuck0
>

> The Nation has a few other things. I won't mention the obvious,
> though perhaps Doug can overcome his natural humility to do so; but
> Katha Pollitt remains brilliant. (She's on a multi-month hiatus
> though. If she decides to do without the two figure increment when the
> hiatus period ends I may well see if there is better value out there
> for the same money.)

Pollitt and Hitchens were the columnists I missed the most after giving up on the Nation. Of course, this was before Hitch's turn to the dark side. I also really liked the review section.

What are the circ figures of the Nation these days? 180,000?

It will be interesting to see how they adjust to a subscriber drop after the Dems retake the presidency in 2008.

What magazines are people reading these days? Are you guys still reading magazines?

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/