[lbo-talk] further evidence of the decline of men

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat May 13 08:36:59 PDT 2006

He was a precocious, talented libertine. Some argue that the language had reached such a pitch of perfection by his time that Rochester could not but lisp in verse. But I think he really was a first rate poet doing his best in a blighted time.

But the philosophy he espouses, is nothing new -- the vanity of man, which expresses itself through bondage to the senses, overreliance on logic/reason, and foolish imagination.

As for the capitalization. I know it was firmly in place by the 18th century -- capitalizing nouns. (Further evidence of our mistaking ideas for things, perhaps.) Carrol could probably enlighten us as to why we see it in the 17th. with Rochester.

http://www.druidic.org/roc-bio.htm

Joanna