[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Scissors MacGillicutty scissorsmacgillicutty at gmail.com
Sun May 14 05:09:42 PDT 2006

On 5/8/06, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> It wasn't until I'd read the first half of NEGATIVE DIALECTICS that I began to
> really understand where the deck chairs were being placed on Heidegger's
> Hindenburg.
>
> http://www.efn.org/~dredmond/ndtrans.html

What MB said. Wiggerhaus notes in his book on the _Frankfurt School_ that if there was one fixed point in Adorno's thought it was an antipathy to Heidegger. IIRC, Benjamin writes a letter that he and Brecht wanted to "destroy" Heidegger.

Maybe Heidegger will, for better or worse, remain along with Wittgenstein one of the two major philosophers of the 20th century. But I don't think he constitutes the horizon against which all other 20th century thinkers disclose themselves (to attempt to con the Heideggerian idiom, at least as translated into English.)

On 5/7/06, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> And is your contrast supposed to to whom and on what
> grounds? Quine, whose major thesis (the indeterminacy
> of translation) no two people can agree on what it
> means? Davidson, similarly opaque? Rawls, whose
> writing is a crime against the English language?
> Sellars? Give me a break.

Thank you. Having a plain style is not the same as writing clearly. My interest in the analytics is a recent one, but while I've come to appreciate the degree to which they *try* to write clearly, it seems that most of the time they fail.

--smg