[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 14 05:33:50 PDT 2006

(Ted, I'll get back to you tomorrow -- I have a massive load of work I have to finish by tomorrow and have no time.)

A prof of mine in grad school was off the opinion that Adorno and Heidegger were actually saying much the same thing, with a slightly different twist. They were both such snobs, after all. ;)

I have wondered if Arendt's loathing for Adorno (she once called him the most contemptible human being she had ever met) had to do with his personal vendetta against Heidegger. (It also I think had to do with Adorno's screwing with Benjamin's manuscripts and having taken his mother's last name because Wiesengrund just sounded too Jewish. But supposedly she told her then-husband -- the first husband -- that "that person is NOT coming into our house" the very first day she met Adorno back in the 20s.)

I never really got into the Frankfurters. There's something about them that rubs me the wrong way. I do remember being favorably impressed by Marcuse's book on Soviet Marxism though. I think the Jargon of Authenticity is just an awful, awful book.

--- Scissors MacGillicutty <scissorsmacgillicutty at gmail.com> wrote:

> What MB said. Wiggerhaus notes in his book on the
> _Frankfurt School_
> that if there was one fixed point in Adorno's
> thought it was an
> antipathy to Heidegger. IIRC, Benjamin writes a
> letter that he and
> Brecht wanted to "destroy" Heidegger.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!