[lbo-talk] Carol Brightman on U.S. bases in Iraq

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun May 14 08:26:53 PDT 2006

Carrol Cox wrote:

> The final two paragraphs of the following letter (and particularly the
>final sentence) are an anti-climax, and I fear indicate more wishful
>thinking than analysis (though I join in the wishing). But in them she
>does raise the correct question: Can the insurgency find a way to attack
>those permanent u.s. bases.

There's an amazing scene in the excellent movie (sorry, saying "film" always sounds kinda pretentious) Occupation: Dreamland <http://www.occupationdreamland.com> where a lieutenant is briefing his troops. He asks them what exactly they're there to protect - and concludes it's basically themselves. Wouldn't those bases be doing the same thing on a larger scale? What exactly would the US gain with these bases?

Doug