[lbo-talk] Movies, Film, Cinema, Motion Pictures -- was Carol Brightman

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 14 08:37:27 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> There's an amazing scene in the excellent movie (sorry, saying "film"
> always sounds kinda pretentious) Occupation:

I'll have to look up the old issue of Critical Inquiry that had an excellent article on this general question. If I remember correctly the author thought "movies" was the correct term, but he also pointed out that "film" emphasized the material medium -- I don't remember his analysis of "cinema" or whether he distinguished between "movies" and "motion pictures."

I agree "film" sounds pretentious: one senses the writer rather self-consciously and even nervously avoiding the term "movies."

Carrol