[lbo-talk] Diaspora Identity Politics and Multicultural Imperialism

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon May 15 19:54:03 PDT 2006

On 5/15/06, ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org> wrote:
> At around 15/5/06 8:04 pm, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> > On 5/15/06, ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> And come on! Pointing to Gujarat is hand-waving of not just an
> >> irrelevant but a dangerous kind, since UVJ did not suggest that Hinduism
> >> does not discriminate against other minorities.
> >
> > Ulhas sends a lot of business press clippings to both LBO and PEN-l.
> > Two things you seldom -- never? -- see in his postings are anything
> > critical of the US and Indian governments.
> >

> Ulhas probably doesn't want me speaking for him, especially since I find
> his posts cryptic, but I stand by my criticism (that sounds a bit stuffy
> doesn't it?). I think he was right in calling out the silliness about
> "one god" in the Iranian dude's letter. I don't think its divisive to do
> so. As the 7 year old kids say, even if it is, he (Iranian dude) started
> it. And you already know (I hope) my opinion on Indian governments
> (including on the matter of Kashmir).

I'm aware of your difference with Ulhas on Kashmir. I wouldn't have said what I said if it had been you who criticized Ahmadinejad on his privileging of monotheism or anything else. I myself might have criticized it in the first place if I hadn't been focused on the Israel/Palestine question in his letter.

The thing is that I don't believe Ulhas cares one way or another about Ahmadinejad (or anyone else's) religious belief or lack thereof. It wouldn't matter to him if Ahmadinejad extolled the virtue of atheism or the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster over other beliefs if he were a friend of Washington and/or New Delhi. Ulhas has nothing to say about Bush's religious belief, certainly worse than Ahmadinejad's.

He hates the current government of Iran and its devout leader just as he hates Nepali and Indian Maoists, most of whom are probably atheists.

I might add that the only kind words for Indian leftists that I've heard from Ulhas' postings is that a number of them are very favorably disposed to FDI.

The bottom line: I can't stand anyone who is supposedly on the left _and_ supports sanctioning or bombing Iran at this late date, i.e., having already seen Iraq. Isn't it enough to have destroyed one country?

* Well, maybe Ulhas doesn't claim to be on the left. Perhaps he's just one of those neoliberal Indians, like many others of his education in India and the rest of the world (except France).

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>