[lbo-talk] Focus on Iran and Palestine, Not Iraq

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue May 16 14:29:05 PDT 2006

On 5/16/06, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> >
> > But Washington hasn't resolved to do so yet. So we
> > got a window of opportunity to shift our focus onto Iran, which has
> > yet to be destroyed.
>
> Our strength to make a difference here is almost totally centered in
> whatever current anti-war organization exists

I disagree. Not in the USA, nor probably in Japan (it would be different in Europe). Everyone needs to take an unsentimental look at his or her local anti-war "organizations" and then take a look at national anti-war "coalitions." Most aren't even "organizations" and "coalitions," properly speaking. Most of them are "usual suspects" plus their mailing lists, and not at all rooted in sectors of the working class whose actions (if they ever take actions) may make a crucial difference. Some of them -- such as UFPJ and ANSWER -- are obstacles. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>