[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 07:39:02 PDT 2006

Profundity is in the eye of the beholder, man. ;)

It's not Heidegger's question, BTW, it's Leibniz' and Schelling. According to Heidegger it is a question that cannot be answered. Heidegger is not looking for the reason the world exists. There is no reason! That's why he says that beings as it were "rest" above nothing, an abyss. He uses the word "Abgrund," which means "abyss," but literally is composed of the prefix "ab-", which is indicates a lack of something, and the noun "Grund," which means either "ground" or "reason," depending on context.

As a kid I used to have insomnia attacks in which I would start wondering why the world exists, and why it doesn't just vanish. I could get no answer, which really freaked me out. So I knew exactly what Heidegger was talking about with the stuff about Angst and the abyss. ;)

--- Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:

> Sorry for overpost. Usually with Heidegger the
> notion arises that a most
> profound question is "Why is there something instead
> of nothing ?" Somehow
> somebody has to argue or persuade that this is a
> most profound question, not
> just assert it.
>
> Charles

Nu, zayats, pogodi!