[lbo-talk] "The Authentic"? was ....Grappling....

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu May 18 08:58:56 PDT 2006

Ravi,

You posted this old lbo post to PEN-L on another issue, but I see you refer to Heidegger in it. The comment on beauty and truth sounds like Keats' romantic principle from "Ode on a Grecian Urn".

Can we say Heidegger was a romantic philosopher ?

Charles

-clip- O Attic shape! fair attitude! with brede

Of marble men and maidens overwrought, With forest branches and the trodden weed;

Thou, silent form! dost tease us out of thought As doth eternity: Cold Pastoral! 45

When old age shall this generation waste,

Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe

Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st, 'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,-that is all

Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.' 50

Complete at : http://www.bartleby.com/101/625.html

Charles

Alex Cockburn on India: wrong? (was, U.N. seeks aid...)

ravi

Wed Aug 10 07:05:14 PDT 2005
> About Cockburn: to my mind, apart from being factually sloppy (as
> Ulhas has already pointed out), he fails the crucial aesthetic test.> His
disparate (and somewhat shallow) observations do not add up to a> coherent whole - and anything that lacks beauty cannot possibly reveal> a truth, even an ugly one.

ah, memories of heidegger... ;-) but then there is also shakespeare. eye of the beholder and all that stuff. i found cockburn's piece quite interesting because i was not looking for a coherent whole (more below).

^^^^^^^

Chris Doss

No. In the world of the tribesman, predicting the future based on entrails is experienced as having a truth value and therefore is not inauthentic. The spouse in denial over the faithless husband/wife and the soldier who just "knows" he ain't gonna die are actually fully aware of the real state of affairs, and are choosing not to acknowledge it. That is why they are inauthentic. For that matter, I engage in constant self-deceptions on the matter of my nicotine intake that I know full well are utter bullshit but do anyway -- I've been "going to quit tomorrow" for about 5 years now. That is inauthentic behavior.

^^^^^ CB: Would you say this is the same thing as what is currently referred to as "denial" ? What was Heidegger's take on Freud ?

^^^^^

This has nothing to do with ethics, by the way. It is descriptive and value-free.

It's a little weird to hear Heidegger attacked in this way, since he is usually attacked as a cultural and epistemological relativist who thinks Aristotelian physics and modern physics have equal truth values, talks about the gods a lot, and thinks pre-Socratic philosophy was the profoundest thinking in history.

^^^^^^

CB: What did he consider especially profound in pre-Socratic philosophy ?

http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/Presocratics pre-Socratic philosophy The ideas of the usually speculative ancient Greek cosmologists who mainly preceded Socrates (469-399 BC). The pre-Socratics range from Thales (640-546 BC) to Democritus (c. 460-361 BC). The school is defined more by an outlook and a range of interests than by any chronological limit. Unlike Socrates and the sophists, who were both primarily concerned with ethics and politics, the pre-Socratics were mainly concerned with the search for universal principles to explain the whole of nature, its origin, and human destiny.

Other pre-Socratics are Pythagoras, Xenophanes, Parmenides, Zeno of Elea, Anaximander, Empedocles, Heraclitus, Diogenes, and Protagoras. Only short passages from the works of the pre-Socratic philosophers have survived.