[lbo-talk] US looks to arm Iran's neighbors, general says

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri May 19 11:13:30 PDT 2006

Ulhas:

Moreover, US/NATO forces are in Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan. US Navy dominates Indian Ocean. Iran is effectively encircled militarily and isolated diplomatically.

I am no expert, but Iran would appear to be in a difficult situation.

==============================

(no doubt, it's pointless to write this inasmuch as no minds will be changed but, what the hell...)

Iran is indeed in a “difficult situation” but it doesn't arise from the strategic positions of US/NATO forces in surrounding countries.

US forces cannot be spared for an assault upon Iran because they are deeply involved in hot wars in their occupational zones (why else do you think the "tactical nuclear" option seems so attractive?).

And it's unlikely NATO will participate, in any significant way, in aggression on Iran for many reasons including the fact they're tied down in Afghanistan.

Yes, I know, in the past you've insisted Afghanistan was pacified (implying the US can stay forever, the ISI monitors every nook and cranny and NATO's patience and resources are without limit) but continued military activity of growing intensity suggests otherwise.

Also, the "diplomatic isolation" you describe is far from complete since it's clear Russia, China and the EU are not in favor of the draconian measures Washington dreams of putting in place (including warfare) preferring to craft one deal after another.

As every gangster knows, you don't attempt to make deals with someone you've "isolated" - you simply isolate them and be done with it.

No, the true difficulty - and this is the point so many stubbornly refuse to accept - comes from Washington's insistence Iran not do what it is legally enabled to do by the NPT: enrich uranium for peaceful purposes.

Washington's objectives are, in this instance, the problem's core. Let us not become confused by distaste for whatever elements of Tehran's governing style we dislike into fuzzy thinking and forget how all this started; it started with the Bush administration making demands that go above and beyond the dictates of the NPT.

At this point the canard about the IAEA's "concerns" and other, more general statements from the UN will be trotted out as evidence to the contrary.

Must we again review the details of the IAEA's report?

Details that are provided here -

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20060515/038294.html>

I surely hope not.

It's now important to focus in and discard superfluous nonsense about what Iran needs to do to avoid disaster. If Washington is determined to take action, no concession will suffice. If anyone believes otherwise they are suffering - and at quite a late date too - from a profound, perhaps tragic, form of naivete.

.d.

--------- In a more just world, I'd be free to pull spammers' spines from their worthless bodies. What durable belts they'd make.

Lord of the Chavs

http://monroelab.net/blog/