[lbo-talk] Faux Logo

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Sat May 20 10:40:38 PDT 2006

On 2006/05/21, at 1:36, info at pulpculture.org wrote:

> At 11:48 AM 5/20/2006, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> Well, maybe he gets it all wrong, but he still needs a pair of shoes.
>>
>> JC
>
> Yeahbutt, what's really annoying is that these same people look
> down their noses at you if you shop at Walmart because that is all
> you can afford.

Then they are not leftists, they are just pricks. My idea was that the guy had the $100 for a pair of shoes and had a choice between Nike and a union shop.

> I couldn't afford to spend $100 on a pair of any shoes and never
> have. Nor has my son. I don't _know_ people who can afford that
> much on a pair of shoes.

A number of list members, including me ? I would need to make sure the shoes would last long enough though. And I would not look down on people who wear cheap shoes. In fact 4 years ago, my birthday gift from my wife was 6 pairs of ¥300 sneakers.

> It ends up being a new form of lefty elitism.

That's the rock and the hard place thing. What are the choices a leftist has in a consumer society ? If I could afford fair trade stuff everyday I would buy it. I can't, so I get the best price I can.

JC