[lbo-talk] churchill: wow

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sat May 20 17:32:46 PDT 2006

On 5/22/06, Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:

> Well, having done my share of TV, I know it ain't always easy. And yes, you
> can have a bad day. But then confronted with the simplistic blasts offered
> by Hannity, Churchill simply mumbled and turned away from the camera. These
> were softballs being lobbed his way, and he simply wiffed. It has nothing to
> do with "radness" but with being able to defend your position. He couldn't,
> or wouldn't, and if the latter, why the fuck do the thing to begin with?

Churchill had agreed to do the on-site interview with Horowitz with the understanding they would discuss the topic at hand, ie, academic freedom. But Hannity hijacked the interview for the purpose of bashing Churchill about the 9/11 comments, and launched into one of his typically disgraceful "aren't you ashamed at what you said" and "why is it you hate America so" tirades.

Both transcript and video are online: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190967,00.html

I think he did a reasonable job defending himself, despite the egregious circumstances. But I've also seen Churchill live; he can do much better than this.

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam