[lbo-talk] Re: Orthodox and Muslims Slam 'Da Vinci'

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 22 15:13:48 PDT 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> The odds are 999 to 1 against me or you or any leftists in the United
> States making any difference whatsoever for Iran. So, if I were
> approaching the question as a gambler, I would not bet a dime on it.
> But I would suggest that US leftists approach politics in the
> tragicomic spirit of Samuel Beckett -- "I can't go on, I'll go on" --
> especially this year, the 100th anniversary of his birth.

It was probably in a period such as the present that Lenin allegedly declared that there were three revolutionary virtues, Patience, Patience, and Patience. But a recurrent theme in Lenin's work is that one has always to push because one never knows when the door will suddently open. That's why he could be so far in front of the other Bolsheviks in the summer of 1917. The "always push" goes with the "patience," because usually the pushing does not get one anywhere. The opposite of this aspect of Lenin is what has been called "crackpot realism."

Carrol