[lbo-talk] Churchill/Hannity

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue May 23 11:26:34 PDT 2006

Dennis Perrin wrote:

>Hannity hijacked the interview for the purpose of bashing
> > Churchill about the 9/11 comments, and launched into one of his
> > typically disgraceful "aren't you ashamed at what you said" and "why
> > is it you hate America so" tirades.
>
>I know, but so what? That's what Hannity does, and is a Fox specialty. If
>you don't know that going in, then what world are you living in? And why are
>you going on that show to begin with?
>
>Dennis

I saw Churchill on Hannity & Colmes too and I think Dennis is right, he was terrible. I didn't see it, but apparently this (former) adjunct had a clue:

http://www.newshounds.us/2006/05/23/savvy_guest_gets_the_better_of_hannity_and_colmes.php#more

Savvy Guest Gets The Better Of Hannity And Colmes

Reported by Ellen - May 23, 2006

Hats off to former Boston College professor Steve Almond who knew what he'd be in for as a guest on Hannity & Colmes (5/22/06), was prepared with responses and even got in a not-so-oblique dig at Bill O'Reilly and FOX News while he was at it.

The discussion was about the Boston College protest over an honorary degree awarded to Condoleezza Rice.

[...]

I expected David Horowitz or someone else who would trash academia as the guest. But the sole guest was Steve Almond, who resigned his position as adjunct professor at Boston College when Rice was invited.

Sean Hannity tried to play his gotcha game of trying to make Almond admit he supported Kerry, who also supported the war in Iraq. This is one of Hannity's favorite tactics to "prove" a liberal guest is a hypocrite. "Did politics play any role in your position here?'

But Almond (unlike FAR too many Democrats) wisely side-stepped the ploy. "I think, actually, morality plays a role."

Hannity, peeved that Almond wasn't falling for his clever trick, snapped, "I didn't ask you that." Hannity spent the rest of his portion of the segment trying to push Almond into saying he voted for Kerry.

[....]